Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Message to Occupiers Everywhere- We will Endure

This was a speech I delivered to a stormy GA at Occupy Eugene recently. Most of my life I am a fool, but on occasion I am able to stir up some words of inspiration. This is one of those occasions, in which the movement moved me in a way that allowed God (or spirit, or nature, inspiration, whatever) to deliver some good words out of my mouth.

I got a call at work saying morale was extremely low. Fights had even broke out. On my way from work to the occupation some tears fell down my cheek and words started to come to my brain. At each red light I wrote down what I felt needed to be said.

At the site, We start each General Assembly with a Morale bit. I called everyone to come close and form a circle with their hand in the middle, and I began to read these words that were given to me.

(Mic Check)

We are individuals
Forming a family
married to a movement
The honeymoon is over
Morale has been low
That's okay
This is natural
we are being tested
because our challenge is great
greater yet, is the change
we are trying to make
Let us not forget
these problems have been around for a long time
It will take a long time to fix these problems
of economic and social injustice
of mistrust and disfunction
May we remember
that through strength and courage
faith and endurance
trust and love
their will be no challenge
we cannot overcome
may we remember
why we came
and that this movement
is bigger than you or I
It is bigger than occupy Eugene
It is a global movement
to change the world
and I'm not ready to quit
I believe we can change the world
I believe in you
Because if we can dream of a better world
and if we can believe in a better world
then we can achieve a better world

Never in my life had I felt so much energy flowing through me. There was a hard to describe current being built up in our hands as we read these words. Never in my life have I been so proud to be a part of something. Something so great, so admirable. I am so honored to contribute to a cause with a group of so many talented, focused, beautiful human beings. And through each of us doing our part, contributing our own flavor of genius, we will succeed.

Peace, Love, Joy, Wisdom...
-Plaedo

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing :) your an amazing soul

    ReplyDelete