Sunday, September 25, 2011

Trembling - A Poem

You tried to talk to me
but I wasn't listening to you
I was feeling like an alien
instant messaging, texting, multi-tasking
surfing google earth
searching seeing craters carved in the face of our creator
by nuclear bombs,
I was thinking
civilization's playing russian roulette
so it's a brave new world
This is the Age of:
digital dollars and radioactive rainbows
stem cells and cell phone's
bionic limbs and genetically modified potatoes
Think, thousands of years spent rubbing sticks to stones to create fire
Now I sit in my warm home with a microwave one button away from my desire
Where the cost of convenience is
oil spilled in an Ocean named after Atlantis
a city destroyed when it's people couldn't handle their technological advances
This is the age of the absurd
where 1000's of dead birds, cried from the sky
in the world wide whirl wind newspapers die, printing in their headlines the disasters
are happening faster and faster
So everyday another town gets tornado torn flood drought tsunami or earthquake
And I stop and think,
Those people, those animals, that suffering is real,
while I'm here struggling to pay my bills
It's the run of the mil, the rat race
it's a treadmill, I'm running in place
so after a hard day
I want to escape, space out, through chinese food and hulu
I'm pirating Wi-fi though, so its an hour to download a 30 minute episode
after my salty greasy fried rice, I split the cookie but its unfortunate
our decedents, will be living on styrofoam mountains
its like I'm dreaming of a stable tomorrow
but waking up in the same quick sand bed I woke up in yesterday
Then I looked over and I saw your face
and I felt grace,
So I want to hear what you have to say,
but first I need to pray,
This is the age of love
when the world is trembling, it's time for remembering
We are blessed
Before we speak
may we take a deep breath
we know we're both stressed
beneath our smiles, our teeth are clenched
May beauty be born when we hug
so that we may touch god
may Love be our refugee camp
where we gently stamp our carbon footprint
as we dance to the rhythms of nature
May we know hate is just love in pain,
May we help this world to heal
but this world is not ours to save
maybe the climate will change Greenland into a tropical paradise
May we embrace our life
so we can die
with a sparkle in our eye
as we witness the light
may we know
this globe is our home
Humanity is our family
Love is our religion
may we keep livin'
listen learnin' wishin' workin'
as the earth keeps turnin'
now, what was it you wanted to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment